Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 40ex723 and usb drive

profile.country.en_GB.title
bohboh
Visitor

Bravia 40ex723 and usb drive

I have a 300gb seagate external hard drive. I have formatted it as fat32 yet the tv wont recognise it. I have seen from the compatibility list that it only has sony own hard drives listed. Does this mean I cannot use "any" usb hard drive?

Tags (3)
29 REPLIES 29
bohboh
Visitor

the problem is that I cannot get as far as seeing the drive to browse it. When i go to home->videos I just see the help page, should i see all my video files on my hard drive here?

profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Plug it to USB socket where is Your HHD reckognised as connected device and try to open it and play it.

R

Damac

DamacizSi
Visitor

Once more, please plug it to USB socket where is Your HHD reckognised as connected device, it will appired message that usb device is detected. After that go to home-video and fails should be there. Select one and play it.

Regards

Damac

bohboh
Visitor

Tried that, when i plug into usb that recognises hdd, it pops up a message saying i should register it to record. I do NOT register it, and go to home->videos, it only shows me the help page and nothing else.

Should files be organised in folders on the drive?

DamacizSi
Visitor

Try other USB socket, and see there.

R

Damac

bohboh
Visitor

This is what i have done so far:

1. Plugged into usb hdd recorder socket, hdd is found and it asks me to register it. I do NOT register it.

2. Plugged into other usb socket, nothing is recognised and home->videos just shows the help page.

Still doesnt work.

DamacizSi
Visitor

If You have a chance, try to test other HDD when some friend have it. Western Digital will be great.

R

Damac

profile.country.GB.title
Quick.Response
New

The latest Bravia range supports USB HDD in 2 configurations.

1. Plugin and play media files such as jpg, avchd, divx, mp3

In order to play media files you need a fat32 formatted USB hard drive, which contains files of a supported format. The files can be played back using the "Home" -> "Media" -> "Photos/Movies/Music" menu.

I have successfully viewed divx (after registering the tv with divx), played avchd camcorder footage, viewed jpg's, and played mp3's from a USB HDD. There are some formats of AVI containers that the TV will not play, but I believe there is a list of supported formats available from Sony somewhere on the website.

2. Timer recording of braodcast material

To use a USB HDD (>32GB) for recording broadcasted material, you first must register the HDD for use as a recording device. This is done from the "Home" -> "System Settings" -> "Recording Set-up" -> "HDD Registration" menu. Once you have done this successfully you should be able to use the timer record function from the program guide.

By registering the HDD it will completely remove any content already on the drive so if you wish to retain any data on the device - do not register it!

Unless you have 2 USB sockets and 2 USB HDD's then the functionality is mutually exclusive, i.e. you can't use a single HDD for timer record as well as playing media, without having to reformat or re-register the device all the time.

Hope this helps.

bohboh
Visitor

I think the confusion here is that I cannot get as far as being able to browse the drive.

When i go to home->videos I do not see my drive.

yet when i plug it into the hdd recorder usb, it finds and asks me to register.

So the question I really need answering is if it recognises it in one usb socket, why not the other?

DamacizSi
Visitor

Organise your fails in folders in hard drive and plug in USB socket where You are not asked for registration, first one from up, I think...

I like to tell You that Sony does not garranty work with every HDD but we will try with You everything we can.

If Your data was erased by registration, You can use Hard Disk Drive Data Recovery software - there is free download on net.

R

Damac