Join now - be part of our community!

Apps missing or not working

Vince960
Explorer

Apps missing or not working

Hi,

I've a Sony TV (Bravia KD-55X8505B ; fw PKG3.004EUA) since 2 years and I'm very happy about this product. However, since 2 weeks, apps are not working (not able to laucnh it) and if I try to install a new one, the list of apps is empty.

What I did until today:

- Update the TV fw but seems I have the latest one

- Check internet connection (using wifi) and all is good (recheck wifi password and IP and test the connection through network settings)

- Check the internet/wifi router details and just to make sure I put the IP address of the TV on the DMZ

Still not working... Any advise?

Thanks,

V.

96 REPLIES 96
profile.country.GB.title
Kellymarkmegan
Explorer

Same problem here, all apps working Friday night, Saturday morning they disappeared!! I spent 2 hours troubleshooting yesterday & still no apps. Only bought the tv last week from pc world, if it’s a fault then it’s going back.

so frustrating Sony!! Sort this out. What good is a smart tv, without being smart??

Hi There,

We bought a Sony KDL-32WD756 from John Lewis in July of this year. Everything fine until I tried to go to Apps on the home screen. NOTHING and set freezes to all commands until it has "given up" looking for any apps. I am VERY VERY  dissappointed.

profile.country.GB.title
mkuksonyman

lots of people with varying models seem to have this problem or similar. I am pretty pc savvy and still found setting up internet connections on this tv troublesome. I did get a solution from Sony support that worked but there was quite a lot of work involved. Changing the dns primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4. seemed to do the trick. These are googles look up servers to resolve addresses as apposed to the ones your ISP give you automatically. Try contacting Sony for help but be prepared for some work. For example, this is the 1st help they sent me which I followed through with. I have since bought another sony tv in 2017, this time different problems with youveiw and catch up but still related to internet settings. I love sony tv's for their picture qualities but hate their operating systems , that includes my android latest edition. Buyer beware, have a good demo before you commit!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

Following our conversation regarding your Sony model: KD-55X8505B, please reply to this e-mail with the answers to the following questions

1. What is the player model:
2. What is the device ID:
3. What is the current FW installed on the device.  Please write the exact version:
4. What is the MAC Address
5. What is the exact issue providing the maximum details?  Please ask for pictures or exact error message or symtomps on the device:
6. Is there a similar problem with any other internet services / apps:
7. Was this App / Service working fine before?  Or the customer has the issue since day 1:
8. If it occurred recently, when did the issue start?
9. What is the customer's Post Code?
10. What is the internal device IP Address?
11. What is the public IP address by visiting www.whatismyip.com?
12. What is the internet Service Provider Name?
13. What is the actual internet speed using SpeedTest.net?
14. What is the network environment: i.e FTTH, Broadband?
15. Is customer using VNP / Proxy / Anonymizer / TOR service to access the internet?
16. What is the brand and model of the router?
17. What Troubleshooting steps did you try?
18. Any additional information you wish to log?
19. Is the internet connection via WiFi or is it wired?
20. If it's WiFi, has the customer tried the wired connection?

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Amr Mahdy

profile.country.GB.title
mkuksonyman

have posted more info
profile.country.GB.title
vivman
Explorer

Tried submasking and DNS settings no luck, It's a shame they aren't doing software upgrades for backword comaptabilites, going back to use my chromecast - for apps. incase if any one wants to try similar once, here is the comparison site.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/fire-tv-chromecast-roku-face-off,review-4855.html

profile.country.GB.title
Jonquilla

Thanks so much for this. Really helpful. I bought a Sony for quality but it’s not worth this hassle. It’s a shame Sony doesn’t take these irritating blips more seriously. I can cope with no Channel 4 but a Smart TV that puts you through a wringer like this just ain’t smart! 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonquilla

Thanks for the link. We need all the possible techie support we can get! 

profile.country.GB.title
mkuksonyman

just a thought.........my router allocated an ip address to the tv. Any settings changes made to the tv seem to be tied to that ip address that is "given" to the tv. My address ended in .004 so I went in to the router management console and changed it to .104 and reserved this address for the tv. The router on your network will normally automatically allocate numbers beteen say  002 and 254 for any device on the network. Fixing your tv address by reserving it means that even if you reboot your router, the tv will always have the same address. Making the number anything other than the original and far enough away from other low numbers that are auto allocated ( say 100 upwards) seems to work ok for this problem. Worth a try.

profile.country.GB.title
Vehbitv
Explorer

I have the Kdl32wd751 all apps not working since I reset the TV as amazon prime app not showing, these TVs are a joke, I ve looked for firmware on website and there looks to be another update with 15 in the title however my TV is not in the list for it even though it takes you through from the support for my TV. I just want to be able watch amazon prime! 

profile.country.GB.title
Banksie71
Explorer

@rowenawolton Exactly the same problem this morning. Same model purchased May 2017, also from John Lewis. Did you find a solution?