Join now - be part of our community!

43" Smart TV (2020 or 2021) with access to iPlayers

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Crim60
Explorer

43" Smart TV (2020 or 2021) with access to iPlayers

I am interested in replacing my 2014 Sony 32" smart TV.  I am interested in a recent model, maybe 2020 or 2021 with access to iPlayer and I am struggling to search for this.

If anyone can suggest a suitable Sony Smart TV, preferably 2020 or  2021 model to access the iPlayers and to continue to use FreeView Play and Humax Freeview Box I would really appreciate it, thank you.  The models I was interested in do not support the BBC iPlayers.

Crim60

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Crim60 

Just buy the 43in Sony that suits you best and get a Roku Express or Amazon Firestick with it, to give you the Players until (or lest) Sony don’t come good on their promise to provide these.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Crim60 

the Firestick is indeed a stick that you put into an HDMI slot, just as you do your Humax box, and probably alongside the lead from that. Then you either power the stick from its Amazon mains adaptor or, if your TV can supply enough power, plug the supplied lead into a USB slot on the TV. (It will tell you if it isn’t getting enough power that way.)

The Roku isn’t a stick, but instead is a very small box, rounded like a pebble, which you can attaché to the bottom edge of your TV, out where it can ‘see’ the signal from its remote, with the supplied double-sided sticky tape. It is very neat and unobtrusive there.

As with the Firestick, it plugs into an HDMI slot, and can be mains, or possibly USB, powered.

There are about three models of each, depending on if you want Plain or fancy, HD or 4K, over the £30 to £50 range, and with special offer discounts from time to time.

Both offer a lot more apps than just the ‘big 4’ players.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Crim60 

Just buy the 43in Sony that suits you best and get a Roku Express or Amazon Firestick with it, to give you the Players until (or lest) Sony don’t come good on their promise to provide these.

profile.country.GB.title
Crim60
Explorer

Thanks for replying, royalbrown.  I'll do that because I really do want tohave another Sony TV.  I have never used  the type of 'stick' you mention but I can learn!  Is it like a USB stick to put into the TV?  Would that be OK to use and still use my Humax Freeview Box with the TV as well?

Thanks for any information.

Crim60

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Crim60 

the Firestick is indeed a stick that you put into an HDMI slot, just as you do your Humax box, and probably alongside the lead from that. Then you either power the stick from its Amazon mains adaptor or, if your TV can supply enough power, plug the supplied lead into a USB slot on the TV. (It will tell you if it isn’t getting enough power that way.)

The Roku isn’t a stick, but instead is a very small box, rounded like a pebble, which you can attaché to the bottom edge of your TV, out where it can ‘see’ the signal from its remote, with the supplied double-sided sticky tape. It is very neat and unobtrusive there.

As with the Firestick, it plugs into an HDMI slot, and can be mains, or possibly USB, powered.

There are about three models of each, depending on if you want Plain or fancy, HD or 4K, over the £30 to £50 range, and with special offer discounts from time to time.

Both offer a lot more apps than just the ‘big 4’ players.

profile.country.GB.title
Crim60
Explorer

Thank you very much for that really helpful information, royalbrown.  I do appreciate it.

Crim60

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Crim60, you can also use casting, and that's free. ^^

profile.country.GB.title
Crim60
Explorer

Thanks Hannah Ed01