Join now - be part of our community!

When Will SCART Die?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When Will SCART Die?

I was hoping that SCART socket would be gone this year - but it keeps clinging on to its dear life.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Scartlife,

Scartlife,

It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know
And it's not about you joggers who go round and round and round
Scartlife

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Interesting factoid - a UK premium Pay TV operator once told me that there is a noticable number of people paying for HD services, yet connecting their TV via SCART to their STB. This was a few years back so no doubt its dropping, but still funny.

I think it will be around for a while yet, although interestingly some of the 2014 TV's from several manufacturers including us seem to have the connectors on port replicators/extenders rather than on the TV's themselves. This makes for a cleaner installation and possibly greater future proofing...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand the scart to the TV for SkyHD - its all they have known and know no different.  Theres normally a thread on certain other forums for people saying that they cant tell the difference between SD and HD, and normally get told that they need glasses.  A change-over from SCART to HDMI would have certainly been quicker with if companies like Curry's and the late Comet did not charge £80 for a stupid HDMI cable as well.

Port replicators are great in theory, unfortunately its the companies themselves that screw it up.  What I mean is, is when you come to replace that port replicator for whatever reason, its quite often prohibitly expensive and you might was well buy another piece of equipment itself.  If TV manufacturers sold a replacement port replicator at 60-70% of the cost of a new TV, then thats stupid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talking about cables.  I had to replace a HDMI cable recently due to a low voltage electrical leakage (of which I got zapped) - I purchased another cable, but a different brand this time, unfortunately dead on arrival.  So disappointing!  Back to the tried and tested brand again.

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

The scart should never die! :tongue:

Howelse are we supposed to hook our PlayStation or PS2's up to the TV? :wink: