Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 2014 Product Preview - Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony 2014 Product Preview - Review

I was one of the lucky few people who got an invite to this exclusive event of which was informative and interesting to say the least.  Just viewing the products/gadgets on offer before they hit the shops gives quite a bit of satisfaction.  Im writing this from my view-point as a personal account of the evenings event.  

On travelling to Sony HQ in Weybridge, I had my first experience on driving along the M25, being an Aussie, I can now understand why they call it the worlds biggest car-park and that was without roadworks or accidents too.

On arrival at Sony HQ, I was guided to what is called "The Atrium" (see last pic)  On display was a hugh array of food/snacks/sandwiches and drinks.  Unfortunately for me, I chose to have an early dinner of fish and chips.  

On display were a few of Sony's new 4K TV's.
DSCN0029.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

This was my first taste of 4K resolution.  The picture of the X9 is simply stunning, with the Triluminos colour.  I sat watching the demonstation video for a little bit.  I had a look around the back of the TV to see the ports and connections were available, but it was a bit difficult.

It wasnt long until a friendly face appeared (known as StartTheCar), who introduced me to a couple of other familiar names on the forum too.  Its good to put a face to the name.

Onto a quick introduction of the evenings schedule of which we were separated into 2 groups.  First group was introducted to the camera's intially, where-as the second group started off with the TV's.  Being in the first group, I was introduced to Sony's Camera line-up and accessories.  I have to admit my camera knowledge remains in the "newbie" category or which I couldnt tell you what an ISO is to an Aperture.  

The first thing that I noticed when walking into the room, is the bewildering range of attachments/lenses and accessories.  As you can see in the picture below:
DSCN0038.JPG

Also on display were Sony's range of Camera's
DSCN0034.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

One of Sony's product trainers demonstrated some of the camera's and their features.  A couple of camera's were passed around (I think one was the Alpha 5000).  I had a quick "play" with it, but it took me longer to work out how to switch it on.  Told you I was a newbie :slight_smile:

The biggest thing that impressed me (and is one of my favourite products) is Sony's 4K Handycam (with the motto of 4K for 2K).  See picture below, comparing last years to this years.  
DSCN0036.JPG

DSCN0037.JPG

After a quick wonder around the camera's, I headed off to the room across the way, labeled "Audio".  I had a quick listen to one of the Sony Walkmans (which one of the ladies found a set of headphones for me).  Its a nice product with a brushed aluminium casing.  I could have played with that a while.  

But what really tickled my fancy (and my product of the day) was the Sony Shake 33 that I spotted. 

DSCN0042.JPG

See link for the details:
http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/Hi-fi-Systems/Home-Audio-System-Shake-33/m-p/1520008

Onto the TV's - the area that I was most looking forward to and was not disappointed.  I had a short wait until the rest of the group caught up, this is where I was interviewed on camera.  Being my first time on camera and being interviewed was an experience.  The two ladies doing it were great.  However I still buggered up a question that I should have been able to answer so much better now.  

Anyway, the demonstation of a TV with and without X-reality-pro - one can definately see the differece in sharpness and detail.  A demonstration between Triluminios colour and without - It was "Wow" what a differece.  Here's a hint guys/gals - If you budget can afford it, definately veer towards a model with Triluminos Colour, you wont be disappointed.

See the red reproduction below:
DSCN0048.JPG

I didnt take many photos of the TV's, as its hard to figure out which model is which on a blank screen - and because i forgot!  

Sound - Those magnetic fluid speakers definately make a huge difference in regards to punchier sound with more bass.  It was also demonstrated an add-on subwoofer to some of the models.  However to be brutily honest, I could not tell the difference between the add-on sub being on, and it being off.  Which I guess shows the benefits of those magnetic fluid speakers.

After the TV demonstations, I was offered to do a quick survey.  Of which I did.  I then quickly discovered that I was the only one in the TV section and didnt know where to go next.  I later found out it was in the networking/smartphones area.  Anyway, I made my way back to the Atrium where StartTheCar and Tweety2b was - Of which I had a good chat with them.  So all was not lost :slight_smile:

As the event started winding up, everyone was invited to a drink at the local pub for a chat if they so wished.  I had a little bit of a drive back, so i sent my appologies in (however I discovered others came from far greater distance than me)

Below is a picture of the Atrium area at the end of the night - I gues we were not a hungry bunch!
DSCN0050.JPG

I hope this is not a "Too Long;Dont Read" post - but if you made it this far, thank you for reading and thank you to Sony :drink:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Sweet. Looks like your experience was the same as mine although I was a little unsure on some of the products like the RX10 until I was given a little background on it. Hopefully ill throw up my little blog about it shortly.

(I was the short lad in the grey hat) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now thats shocking - I cannot remember anyone in a hat, never mind a grey one :slight_smile: