Join now - be part of our community!

Told I damaged my reader

profile.country.en_IE.title
Zakalwe76
Visitor

Told I damaged my reader

I own a PRS-650 that was purchased just before Christmas last year.

I was initially a bit reluctant about eReaders in general but I found that I loved it. I read quite a bit and so I found that the reader went with me a lot, especially when I travel for work. I always took great care of it and had a Sony case that it spent most of it's life in when I wasn't reading.

I told everyone who asked how great I thought it was and that I thought it was much better than the Kindle.

Then last week I was reading during the day, I put the device on standby and put it down and when I came back to it and turned it on the screen had lots of solid vertical lines and was garbled. It hadn't been dropped or had anything happen to it that I am aware of.

As it was still in warranty I brought it in to the Sony Centre where it was purchased. Initially I was asked if I had dropped it, to which I replied no.

Then I was told that I would have to pay €25 for the engineer to look at it which would be refunded if I hadn't damaged it myself.

I was a bit taken aback by this and said this as the device was still under warranty. However, I reluctantly paid as I was sure that the device hadn't been dropped and that the damage couldn't have been my fault.

However, I received a call to say that the engineers say that I did damage the screen and that I can either collect the useless reader unfixed or pay a further €240 to repair it.

And so I am left with no reader (which I have really missed) and it cost me €25 to be told that I broke it myself.

To say I am disappointed is a bit of an understatement.

I have just purchased one of the new T1's for my wife for Christmas which I am now regretting. As it won't be a very good present if the same thing happens to her.

Also I had always thought that I would replace my PRS-650 whenever it finally gave up (which I hadn't expected to be after less than a year) with a newer model Sony. This I also may have to reconsider.

I have in the past always leaned towards Sony products as I felt they were better quality, but the way this issue has been dealt with has removed my confidence in Sony.

A very disappointed customer

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

I'm afraid the Sony Centres are a bit variable, as they are a stand-alone franchise operation. They are seperate from Sony Corp.

I don't know where you are on the planet, but obviously euro, so I would try to contact someone high up in Sony Support wherever you are.

In UK your contract is with the retailer, they have to sort it out.

Zakalwe76
Visitor

Sorry, should have said, I am in Dublin.

I did contact Sony support directly through the website and I was told that, as you say, the Sony Centres are independent and they cannot control whether they charge to have something looked at.

They gave me the contacts of the two authorised service centres if I want to contact them myself but I don't really want to spend another €25 for it to be checked by probably the same people and so probably be told the same thing.

It is just frustrating because there was no marks or scratches at all on the screen and just normal wear but no damage on the case. So while I could understand them charging in case someone was trying to pull a fast one I was absolutely confident that I had not damaged it myself. So I paid in good faith.

Even so, the first guy I spoke to in the Sony Centre more or less accused me of dropping it and was pointing at the screen saying "Oh is that a scratch" (it was just part of the garble on the screen). In fairness though the guy who actually took it in said it looked in perfect condition and put as much on the report. And even though the same guy was quite apologetic when I collected the reader I felt quite let down.

The sad thing is that even after this, having looked at the alternatives, I will probably replace it with a T1 as I think it is the best reader on the market and I loved my 650 so much.

Although I don't think I will ever buy from a Sony Centre again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi

as far as I am aware the service engineer should be able to provide you with information as to why they consider the screen to be accidental damage and not a screen failure..

Did you get any form of paperwork from the engineer.?

Zakalwe76
Visitor

Nope. I just got my reader back.

They didn't give me any paperwork.

profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

Zakalwe, I don't know why you got no paperwork - have you at least got a reciept ?  (

But I am sure you should have something to show after you paid the money, at least, to show they did at least look at it properly for the fee - allegedly. Just a phone-call sounds a bit un-professional at the least....

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about Irish consumer law, but it would be one of my first ports of call. In UK , your contract is with the retailer, they should do all the work involved, and if not satisfied, the Small Claims Court is there to be investigated.

Someone should certainly have to be able to "prove" it was your fault, not a manufacturing defect.

There is a bit of a history - with all e-ink screens actually, so not an isolated incident.

And, as ever, you need to know what to shout loudest, and who at ! And bigger retailing concerns have more experience with handling claims properly - as a rule.

It does, unfortunately, add to the somewhat duff reputation of the Sony centre model. They are completely apart from the Sony "centre".

I don't know about, for example, Panasonic centres, whether they are any different, as I like Panny stuff, but have always bought / dealt with independents (ie Richer Sounds) and been very satisfied, despite them not having the presumed knowledge and cachet of solely dealing in one make.