Join now - be part of our community!

downloading to reader from more than one pc

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
GlennD
Visitor

downloading to reader from more than one pc

how can i successfully set up reader library on my two pcs and successfully download onto my reader from either pc? i keep getting a message on one pc saying cant download from reader library to reader because reader is registered to another user.

bests

Glenn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi Glenn,

As the previous post says, the Reader and both of the PCs must all be authorised using the same Adobe Digital ID.  As you can use one of the PCs successfully with your Reader then these two items must be using the same matching Adobe ID. One way of checking this would be to open the Reader Library software on the PC that you can successfully transfer from and click 'Help' at the top, followed by 'About Reader Library' from the drop-down menu.  In the information that is displayed you will find a statement that says that the computer is authorised for Adobe DRM protected content together with the e-mail address that you used for that authorisation.  Now do the same thing on the computer where you get the can't download message, and see if the computer is authorised and the e-mail used.  If you find a different e-mail address here, then that is your problem.  It will be necessary to de-authorise this computer, and re-authorise it using the same e-mail address (and password) as the PC which is working.

Hope this helps - if you're not sure about how to de-authorise etc. let me know and I'll try and give you some pointers.:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Both PC's (and reader) must be authorised to the same user for this to work correctly.

Message was edited by: sehuxle

Message was edited by: sehuxle

Drumzman
New

Hi Glenn,

As the previous post says, the Reader and both of the PCs must all be authorised using the same Adobe Digital ID.  As you can use one of the PCs successfully with your Reader then these two items must be using the same matching Adobe ID. One way of checking this would be to open the Reader Library software on the PC that you can successfully transfer from and click 'Help' at the top, followed by 'About Reader Library' from the drop-down menu.  In the information that is displayed you will find a statement that says that the computer is authorised for Adobe DRM protected content together with the e-mail address that you used for that authorisation.  Now do the same thing on the computer where you get the can't download message, and see if the computer is authorised and the e-mail used.  If you find a different e-mail address here, then that is your problem.  It will be necessary to de-authorise this computer, and re-authorise it using the same e-mail address (and password) as the PC which is working.

Hope this helps - if you're not sure about how to de-authorise etc. let me know and I'll try and give you some pointers.:smileyhappy:

GlennD
Visitor

Hi Drumzman,

Thank you so much for help. I followed your advice and it appears that the computer I can happily download from has no email registered /recorded in the Adobe DRM box whereas the new one I am having problems with does have an email registered and appearing in the Adobe DRM box.

So it may be that I did not register properly first time round which was a number of months ago.

Therefore am I right in thinking that I should register the machine that is working to the latest email address since it is hard to register the new machine to an address which appears non existent, or any other ideas? Sory to be a pain with all of these questions its just such a shame manufacturers could not make our lives easier!

If you could help that would be great.

Merry Xmas

Glenn

GlennD
Visitor

Hi drumzman,

Any guidance you could give as to "de-authorizing / authorizing" would be great too.  I dont suppose it is easier to call sony and ask them to change their records - or is that being too old fashioned and simple?

Thanks for all your efforts.

bests

Glenn:smileyhappy:

Drumzman
New

Hi Glenn,

Glad the advice has helped a bit so far.  I must admit though that I'm a rather bemused that the computer that is working is the one that does not seem to have a registered e-mail address.  To be honest I think I'd be a bit reluctant to register this computer to the same e-mail address as the other computer that doesn't work on the basis of the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it!".  A phone call to Sony in this instance wouldn't help, as the registration details are held by Adobe and not Sony (Adobe is the third party that pretty much all eReaders use to handle the DRM (copyright) - apart from Kindle that does its own thing but means you can only buy content from Amazon).

Just one thing that might be worth checking on the computer that is currently working ......  depending on how long you've been using this computer with your Reader, it is possible that you have an additional piece of software installed as well as the Sony software.  Sony's first version of their library software was called eBook Library, but in order to handle the copyright stuff it was necessary to download a further piece of software from Adobe called Adobe Digital Editions, and this is what was used to authorise the computer.  In the later version of the Sony software (Reader Library) Adobe Digital Editions was actually built into it, so it was not necessary to install this separately.  Anyway, it might be worth seeing if you have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your working computer - just go to Start (assuming you're using Windows) and look at All Programs and see if you can see this in the list.  If you do have it installed, then open the program, click on the word 'Library' at the top and choose 'Athorise Computer' from the drop down options.  A dialogue box should then open which tells you who (the e-mail address) it has been authorised to.  Hopefully this might offer another way of finding out how your working computer has been authorised - as this is what you really want to know.

In terms of authorising and de-authorising computers, this can be a little involved(!)  If you only have the Sony software installed (eBook Library or Reader Library) then it isn't possible from this (you can only deauthorise the Reader device itself here).  If you have Adobe Digital Editions installed then this software can be used by opening it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+D all at the same time, whereupon a de-authorise box will open and ask you if you're sure you want to go ahead.

The other option is that Sony have just launched a completely new piece of software called 'Reader for PC' - this is not an upgrade to eBook Library/Reader Library, but a new alternative.  If you install this then the old Reader Library would become redundant and it would be best to uninstall it.  The thing about the new Sony software though it that it is possible to use this to deauthorise a computer.  You do this by clicking on 'Edit' in the top menu and choosing 'Preferences' from the drop down menu - however, while you click on preferences press and hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys.  Doing this will give you a deauthorise option in the preferences that is normally not present when you just click without holding these keys down.

I hope all of the above will help - if all else fails I guess one option would be to start all over again by de-authorising both computers, and the Reader itself and then reauthorising all three to a new Adobe ID.  The only word of warning here would be that if you did this, if you have lots of ebooks that you've previously purchased (with the old ID) then these would not be readable on the computers or the Reader anymore.  This is really the reason that I wanted to help you find the existing authorisation, but as a last resort....

Sorry for the rather long explanation - I do hope it all makes sense, and I hope you get sorted.  Let me know how you get on.

Have a great Christmas!

Best wishes :slight_smile:

GlennD
Visitor

Hi Drumzman,

Thanks for your quick response.

1. Well there is no doubt that the original computer is working fine. I followed your advice, opened Adobe Digital Editions but could not find out which email address the pc was registered to. So I guess I should click on forgot password etc and email address and see what comes back? Or is it better just to leave sleeping dogs undisturbed?

2. With regard to the new computer, it would probably be better if we did unauthorize it once we know the address the original pc is registered too. Then re-register the new pc to the mail address the original pc is registered to.

Is this the right approach?

3. Incidentally, if one were to buy another ereader in the future, one would obviously seek to register it to the new pc? Do you envisage any difficulties bearing in mind that we already have Adobe Digital editions and the ereader library lodged on the new PC? Would we have to ditch those and start again?

Sorry for asking the basic questions yet again but as you say as far as the original pc is concerned no need to fix what aint broke.

Have a great Xmas and thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

bests

Glenn:smileyhappy:

Drumzman
New

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

1. I think your suggestion to try for a ID/password reminder sounds like a great idea.  You can go directly to Adobe's website and try to sign in here using your ID (e-mail) and password; this is the link: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&nf=1&nl=1.  It might be that you can sign in successfully if you have a go at what you think the e-mail was you used along with a password - that would be problem solved, but there does appear to be a facility for both a forgotten ID and password if not.

2. If you can find out your ID and password from the above, then I certainly agree with your approach - this will work (as long as you haven't created more than one different registration previously!)

3. A new eReader should not present any problems and you certainly don't have to ditch everything and start again.  All you should need to do is connect a new eReader to the new PC, and when you try to transfer a copy-protected eBook across you will automatically receive a prompt asking whether you would like to authorise the device.  Often this will authorise to the same ID as the computer without you needing to enter anything, but if you do need to manually enter your Adobe ID and password, just make sure that it is the same as that for the computer and all will be well.

Hope that all helps - best of luck with finding your ID/password and best wishes for the New Year! :slight_smile: