Join now - be part of our community!

AX53......Where is the meta data?

AX53......Where is the meta data?

Hello I have had my FDR-AX53 for a couple of weeks now and there is something confusing me which is that my movie files do not have any meta data attached to them.

At the moment I 'drag and drop' the files straight from the SD card onto my computer.  I go into the card's file structure  SD card, PRIVATE, M4ROOT, CLIP and then drag the files from there.

When I right click on a video file I can NOT see any information about:

Length, frame width, frame height, data rate, bit rate, and such like.

Al I get is the file Mp4, file size and date created.

Could somebody please tell me why my camcorder IS NOT recording this information?

I only ask because every other camera, phone, action cam that I posess captures this information and I find it difficult to edit my camcorder footage as I do not know the basics such as frame rate or bit rate.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
deepdo
Explorer

I have the same issue.

The meta data is viewable for HD recordings @ 50fps or 25fps, but not for HD @100fps or 4K recordings.

Nor are thumbnail images available for these last two.

I don't know why ...

However, I have downloaded and installed Media Info from MediaArea.net and that fixes the metadata issue for me.

Right-clicking on a file now gives the option 'MediaInfo' and opening this provides full details for both the Video and Audio stream data.

Hope this helps.

Aside from a couple of wrinkles like this, I have found the AX53 to be a really great little camera, and I'm well pleased with the results.

Plus the HD @100fps feature for slowmo is such fun.:smileyhappy:

joulsbear
New

there appears to be lots of other data in the other files, I don't know what to do with all these files as I didn't recognise the file extensions but looking them up they are all metadata. On the memory card, I looked through all the files. 

profile.country.GB.title
Noscere
Explorer

Hey folks, sorry I don't have the camera you're asking about, but I can offer some assistance in identifying unknown file types!

https://www.checkfiletype.com/ 

This handy website is my go-to for anything I don't recognise. It doesn't just identify based on file's extension, either. Remember, not all OSes use the filename.extension convention of specifying what sort of file type it is. There's a block of data, the first byte of a file, that can store what sort of file it is.

The filename.extension is something that is almost unique to Windows and harks back to MS-DOS and the 8+3 character filename limit.

But that's okay!

Regardless, this website allows you to upload a file and it will identify what it is for you. Whether your file name has an extension, or its type is embedded in its header, this great little tool tells you what you need to know.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You need to download only your clips (probably *.mp4) and side file *.xml (but this is unnecessary).

For photos just the pics (*.ARW or *.jpg).

All other files are useful only for the camera, you don’t need for them 

profile.country.GB.title
Noscere
Explorer

FYI, if the .mp4  file has no metadata, its likely theres an .xml file (eXtensible Markup Language) with the same filename and is in all likelihood going to contain the metadata/descriptor tags you've been unable to find yet.