Join now - be part of our community!

Imaging Edge Remote Control - request

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Imaging Edge Remote Control - request

Hi,

Thanks for introducing the new Imaging Edge Suite.   As user of Remote Camera Control, I can see this is a big improvement.

I have noticed a few bugs:  When set to "bulb' on the camera, the application (windows 10) shows a spelling error, "BLUB".  That's quite amusing.

Also, the interface does not scale properly on a 4K screen.  It's fine if I set my screen to HD before starting the application. This is inconvenient.

And now the request.....

Please include a setting to allow the user to set a custom shutter speed in BULB mode in conjunction with the interval timer.  As an astrophotographer, I have to use a 3rd-party wired remote to get custom shutter speed longer than 30 seconds.  I routinely take sets of photos with exposure lengths of 5 minutes or more.  Currently the only way to do this is with a hardware remote control.

Surely it would be straightforward to build this facility into the remote control app.  (Eg, take 15 photos, 9 minutes each with a 5s delay between each.)

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Just to add - using the original RCC application doesn't help. It allows Bulb mode but you must keep the mouse pressed down for the required length of time.  Clearly, this won't work for shooting extended sets of long exposures 🙂

There are many astrophotography apps out there that allow full remote control with Canon and Nikon cameras as well as any other ASCOM supported camera.  If Sony could releases the full SDK for their A6000 and onwards cameras to developers, that would be most helpful.  Or maybe they could somehow come up with an ASCOM driver for their cameras, at least us astrophotographers could link properly to these otherwise wonderful cameras

desucca
New

are you saying you have access to bulb mode in the imaging edge mobile app?  if so, is there any setting I might need to change to see this? I'm on android with the latest version of the app and my a6500 is up to date for firmware but the longest exposure I can set is 30 seconds.

thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Captain_Marmotte
New

Another astrophotographer here. Wanting to use an A7Riii, but instead using a Canon 1100D because it has a better feature set :wink: 

I also want to see a way of specifying the exposure time in BULB. Canon allow for control of delay, amount of shots in series and importantly (and the feature Sony is lacking) Exposure time. These features can be seen in the menu set below. 

canin interval bulb.jpg

The Sony options below just don't allow for the same range of control, delay and interval timing are present, but no way of controlling bulb time.  

sony interval.jpg

This is a real shame as being able to set the exposure time would turn this into a very powerful tool! we're so close to seeing a toolset which would allow for easy astro work, but it falls short at the last feature. Please Sony, allow us to set an exposure time rather than having to hold a button, or trigger the camera with additional hardware. 

Thanks! 

sfan5124
New

I just realized that it is possible to have BULB mode on the Image Edge desktop software. I didn't see it before because my camera has "Silent Shooting" set to "On". Once I set it to "Off", I was able to have BULB on the camera, and when I connect the camera to the desktop, the software also shows "BULB" mode. 

I haven't yet figured out how to use "interval shooting" with "BULB" mode.

Yes, please add this ASAP.  This is all we need to make my A6400 perfect for astro.  Thanks!  😀

profile.country.JP.title
natsutoshi
Explorer

You may have already solved this problem.

You can set the time from 2 seconds to 180 minutes in the "Bulb Shooting" tab in the Tools>Settings menu.
You can also use this product to make long exposures without using a PC.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B014CPWEMU/
It is inexpensive, so you may want to have one. I bought one too.

ronstew
New

There would be a huge advantage to use Imaging Edge instead of a third-party remote shutter control for multiple long exposures: If the camera is connected to a computer by USB cable, the computer can keep the battery charged during long, cold nights of imaging. We run our cameras for hours in the cold. The batteries don't last long.

Or, give us a firmware update that allows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20 & 30 minute exposures.

profile.country.JP.title
natsutoshi
Explorer

If you're using Imaging Edge, you've already solved the long exposure problem.
Doesn't the battery run down gradually even with USB power?
The A7R3 actually runs down, I haven't shot all night with USB power so I haven't checked to see if it actually runs out, but I did buy a dummy battery to deal with it.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08JKCZ8J1/
This has worked perfectly fine for me so far, and the price is cheap too.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

profile.country.GB.title
Captain_Marmotte
New

Yes happily imaging edge has been updated to allow for specific time of the bulb exposure, which is great. 

I've not needed a dummy battery yet... I use a dummy battery for my 1100D. I'll probably get one if I start using the a7Riii on a more regular basis. None the less, with both of these images the camera was probably only on for 3 hours tops, I think it only went down to 67. USB charging is set to on, however I'm not sure if it is actually utilised / worthwhile when on a usb 2.0 hub, which is also splitting power off to a guide camera and a mouse. If I get clear skies for long enough to actually run down a battery I'll be over the Moon haha. 

My results so far are encouraging! M45 the Pleiades and then The Needle Galaxy and NGC 4559 (I think).

M45 v6.jpgNeedle.JPG