Join now - be part of our community!

DSLT Alpha owners: What improvements would you make to your camera?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
p4ult212
Contributor

DSLT Alpha owners: What improvements would you make to your camera?

We constantly strive to improve our products, so we’d really appreciate your feedback on what changes you would make to your Sony DSLT camera to make it even better.  Whether it’s to do with the design, usability or specific features just let us know what camera you use and what changes you’d make.

64 REPLIES 64
profile.country.AT.title
fotowolf61
Explorer

Hi Mike,

"VF mode for people with glasses" the correct description is called "View Finder magnification" (ref. page 59 / user manual).

The A77 has fixed its exposure flash issues with FW 1.0.7 and has a pretty consistant behavior now. A99 tends to overexpose by about +1 .

A77 and A99 have a wireless flash protocol bug that leads to a remote flash delay up to 0,4 of a second. Gary Friedman has exaluated and documented in several ways. This is anoying and should be fixed.

Anyhow I love my A99 and my A77 is a nice addition. I hope Sony will pick up some of the above issues to improve both cameras a step further.

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Fotowolf - that sounds like an interesting option on the A57. It sounds like it miniaturises the view in the EVF so people wearing glasses (like me!) can see the whole view.

However, on the A77/A99 the eye relief is bigger (27mm on the A77/A99 vs 25mm on the a57). So perhaps the option is not necessary. Certainly, I never had a problem with seeing the whole EVF with my glasses and an A77 or A99. The situation is better still with the A99. I believe the OLED is identical to the a77 but the exit lens on the eyepiece seems to be improved again.

About A77 flash - I sold mine before update 1.07. I only got as far as 1.06. It always needed -0.7 or -1 flash exp. compensation to get results that matched my previous cameras. The A99 seems to be spot on. I suppose that's a matter of taste though. I agree the WL flash delay is unacceptable and must be fixed. Even with the flash mounted on the camera, the preflash-to-mainflash delay is more noticeable than on my previous OVF alphas. I assume this is because SLT metering is from the main sensor (OVF models used a secondary exposure sensor in the prism hump.) I suppose main sensor metering is slower. :-(

profile.country.en_GB.title
macronencer
Visitor

At the moment, just one thing... please make available a voltage regulator so that I can power the camera from a 12v battery when shooting time lapses overnight (I have an A77 and can only buy an AC adaptor). Some people are away from mains supplies for long periods of time, and are using cameras in a way that precludes battery swaps :)

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

"4) Feature: MF assist and MF assist time support in DMF mode (same as in NEX or RX100)"

you can use the MF-assist in DMF mode. Just assign the Focus Magnifier to one of the customisable buttons (C-button or AF/MF switch). While the shutter button is pressed after AF confirmation you can magnify the image. However it soes not return to full view automatically after a certain time. You have to press the Focus Magnification button several times again. Is that your concern?

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

"A77 and A99 have a wireless flash protocol bug that leads to a remote flash delay up to 0,4 of a second"

you can use Flash Exposure Lock on the SLT-A99. This will minimize the delay drastically. If the subject brightness does not change using FEL is the solution for the pre-flash and WL control delay issue

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Using FEL runs into another problem for me - if I review a photo, FEL is cancelled and I need to reselect it. 😞

Also, SLT cameras in general show a preflash delay for on camera flash (bounced or direct).  The a55 was horrible with my f58.   The a77 and a99 are better but there is still a noticeable delay between shutter press/preflash and final flash/exposure.   My son shows "lazy eye" with the a77 and a99 but never did with my old a700.

Of course, the solution is to use manual flash for no delay at all but I'm still disappointed that using TTL bounce flash is harder with a £2000 2012 model than with a 2007 model that I bought for £600...

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Another nice idea would be for a button to be assigned to "protect" an image in image playback mode.   I use an eyefi card and prefer to selectively transfer certain pics only.   This is done by protecting an image.  Presently this involves a menu dive.   Surely one of the spare buttons could allow this in image playback mode....

My 2001 Canon 1.2mpix digicam did exactly that... 😉

profile.country.AT.title
fotowolf61
Explorer

Well, I am aware of that feature, but this is not what I meant.

The NEX has a focus magnification feature called MF-assist, which does automatic magnification if you do DMF on your lens.This feature could be turned off, than it behaves as you did discribe. What I am asking for to extend this feature like it is implemented on the NEX or the RX100.

Try to get a NEX and try it out, you will love this automtic MF-assist feature. :wink: .

coshell
Explorer

A700 & A850

Make the USB adapter more secure and larger - I shoot tethered for events and the weight of the cable pulls causing loss of sync.

Open discussions with Adobe lightroom for them to recognise images shot in Raw from Sony cameras, I'm fed up of images looking great in camera when I take them, to find that lightroom over exposes them by 2 stops !!

Change the length of the repair warranty - 90 days is not good enough !! For such expensive items any repair should be a lifetime warranty or at least 12 months !!

profile.country.GB.title
Schnauzervillage
Explorer

I own a7r3 and would like the ability to reduce dust on sensor when changing lenses.

I note the new A1 (wish I could afford it) has a feature to protect sensor called Power off shutter close

is it possible to provide a firmware update to other versions to achieve this?