Join now - be part of our community!

a6300 RAW + jpeg ??

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

a6300 RAW + jpeg ??

Hi,

using this setting, I cant see jpeg in camera or in LR...whats happening? thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi there @iprior 

The camera will only ever display a JPG, as RAW files are just data, so the camera will create a temporary JPG to review your shots in-camera if you only shoot RAW.

RAW+JPG creates two files and both are stored on the card. When you import to Lightroom you should see both; if not, check LR settings to see if 'Treat JPEG as separate photos' is checked.

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Thanks. I have a few RAW +Jpeg photos on my camera....only the one set of pics is available to see..In "My picture " folder...there are 2 sets..one set raw..one set jpeg. If I cant see both in LR ..whats the point?

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

ps...where do I find the setting to view both?   thanks again.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi,

ps...where do I find the setting to view both?   thanks again.

well, I'm running a German version of LR (Classic CC btw) so don't know the exact wording of the English version. However, you should find the option in the settings on the "General" tab in section "import options". Actually, although that option is not selected in my case, both versions of a foto, i.e. RAW and JPG, are shown in my library.

Okay, just an idea:

Do you by chance import your pictures using LR directly from the camera and/or SD card? In that case you need to make sure that in the import dialogue you hit "copy" (close to the top) before starting the import process. This is necessary to actually copy the files from camera/card onto your PC. Otherwise LR would only store the path to those fotos and add preview pics to its library. I'd say that probably this is what the mentioned import option was made for. When unticked only RAWs would be copied (plus JPGs for which there's no RAW file), when ticked RAWs and JPGs will always be copied. At least that's my understanding.

In case you've already copied your pictures to your PC by means of e.g. the explorer, then the (standard) import would be the correct option and you should be able to see both versions, irrespective of the import option.

And more:

In case you've stored your RAWs and JPGs into different folders (via Explorer etc.) you maybe need to import both folders into LR. That's not necessary in case you've got a top folder named e.g. PicturesOfHome which takes subfolders like PoHRAW and PoHJPG. In that case you'd only need to import the PicturesOfHome folder.

I normally copy my pictures by means of the Explorer and do sort them by location and date. Therefore I've got folders like "México 2018-03" with subfolders like "2018-03-10", "2018-03-11" and so on into which the JPGs go. Within these folders I've got extra folders simply named RAW (e.g. "2018-03-10\RAW") into which the ARWs go. In LR I'm importing the top level folder, i. e. "México 2018-03" in this example and both versions (JPG and ARW) of every subfolder show up side by side in LR's library. Well, sounds weird, right? However, doing it this way I got rid of any trouble trying to find certain pictures.

Cheers,

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
PhilippeD95
New

Omg thank you very much for the explanation ! I've been looking for this on the internet for a really long time but I couldn't find it. I also had a problem in that my photos were saved in HEIC format and my camera couldn't open them, and also the computer couldn't open this photo format. My brother told me https://www.softorbits.com/convert-heic-to-jpeg/ with which i was still able to convert HEIC to JPEG and the camera was able to open these photos. My brother said that this is an infrequent problem, and that's why I couldn't find the information I needed in Google.